Patient Care - Diabetes
The Diabetes Education Centre offers a range of services to assist people living with diabetes. Classes are offered on a regular monthly schedule. You are welcome to bring a family member or friend to attend with you.
Our classes include:
Individual appointments (45 minutes) are also available.
- “Diabetes! Now What?” For people with newly diagnosed diabetes, this 2 hour class will get you started on looking after yourself and covers; eating well, testing your blood glucose, and living an active lifestyle. A temporary Certificate of Training in Blood Glucose monitoring is given at this class.
- “Living Well with Diabetes” This series of three 3 hour classes covers healthy eating, glucose levels, medications, staying healthy and how to avoid or delay complications. The PharmaCare Certificate of Training is given at the end of class 3.
- “Review Class” For those who have had previous diabetes education, this 3 hour class looks at what is new in diabetes and will help you stay or get back on track.
- “Stepping Out” Spend 2 hours focusing on foot care and foot wear. Be prepared to take off your shoes!
- “Heart Healthy Eating” A 2 hour session on lowering risks for heart disease and managing blood fats (lipids).
- “Carbohydrate Counting” Spend 2 hours and earn how to count carbohydrates to plan your meals and control your blood glucose levels.
- “Weight Loss Tips” Tired of dieting? Our dietitian can help you make a plan for success in this 2 hour class.
- “Ask the Pharmacist” Prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, nutritional supplements and herbals need to be used wisely. Spend 2 hours with a community pharmacist and learn about your choices.
- “Intensive Insulin Skills” If you are using or considering a multi-dose insulin regime, this class teaches the basics of insulin self-adjustment for activity, smaller or larger meals, and correcting for out-of-target blood glucose levels.
All programs are held in the John Robinson Conference Room.
For information, please call 339-1568.
Hours: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Drop-in time: 11:00 am to 12:00 noon on Tuesdays. If you have a quick question or concern, you are welcome to drop in.
Location: We are on the first floor of the 1938 wing.
Phone: 250-339-1568 (Leave message)