Myringotomy / Tubes Surgery - Discharge Instructions
In order to continue your care at home, please follow the instructions listed below:
- Go directly home from the hospital.
- Resume normal activity as tolerated.
- Wash hair or bathe carefully.
- Swimming is permissible unless it causes discomfort. An ear plug may be required.
- For discomfort, use Tylenol® appropriate for age.
- When taking pain medication, you may experience drowsiness or dizziness.
- Resume any medications you were taking before your surgery.
2. OPERATIVE SITE
- Use ear plugs to prevent water entering ear.
- Avoid vigorous nose blowing or holding one’s nose while sneezing.
- You may experience mild discomfort on day of surgery.
- A small amount of discharge is normal the first day.
- Begin with clear fluids: broth, fruit juices, jello, coffee, tea.
- If you do not feel sick and do not vomit, you may increase your regular diet, as tolerated.
- Avoid drinks or food that are gas forming for one week, i.e., carbonated beverages. For a list of foods that may be gas producing, CLICK HERE
- If you are taking Demerol® or Tylenol® with codeine for pain relief, eat HIGH FIBRE FOODS such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals, or bran to avoid constipation.
- Drink at least 6 - 8 cups of fluid daily.
4. SPECIFIC COMPLICATIONS TO WATCH FOR
- Severe pain, uncontrolled by medication.
- Temperature over 38°C (100°F) taken by thermometer.
- Drainage from ear after 24 hours.
5. FOLLOW-UP CARE
If you have any problems/concerns relating to your procedure, please call either:
Daycare at 339-1418 - Monday - Friday: 24 hours/day.
Weekends: 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. only
Medical/Surgical Outreach at 339-1551 - Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Weekends/Holidays: 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. only
If you feel the problem relating to your procedure requires IMMEDIATE attention, and if it is within 48 hours of discharge, please return directly to Daycare (or go to the Emergency Department nearest your home, if you are from out of town).