Nasal Surgery - Discharge Instructions
In order to continue your care at home, please follow the instructions listed below:
- Go directly home from the hospital.
- While your nasal packs are in place, do not attempt anything more than light, everyday chores.
- You may resume work within 1 week but it will be 2 weeks before you will feel "back to normal."
- Take Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) Plain, 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed for headache and discomfort. If you have received a prescription, take as labeled.
- If the nasal packing makes you sneeze, Benadryl® 50 mg. tablets available from your drug store will help to stop the desire to sneeze.
- When taking pain medication, you may experience drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive or drink alcohol while taking these medications.
- Resume any medications you were taking before your surgery.
2. OPERATIVE SITE
- A small amount of oozing - with blood in it from the front of the nose is normal. This always stops. Tape a "drip-pad" in place until this oozing stops. Do not attempt to remove the underlying tape and packing.
- Nasal discharge will get less "bloody" and more clear mucousy as time passes.
- A small amount of bleeding down the back of the throat may occur following surgery, but there should be no bleeding down the back of your throat when you go home.
- Begin with clear fluids: broth, fruit juices, jello, coffee, tea.
- If you do not feel sick and do not vomit, you may increase your regular diet, as tolerated.
- Avoid drinks or food that are gas forming for one week, i.e., carbonated beverages. For a list of foods that may be gas producing, CLICK HERE
- If you are taking Demerol® or Tylenol® with codeine for pain relief, eat HIGH FIBRE FOODS such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals, or bran to avoid constipation.
- Drink at least 6 - 8 cups of fluid daily.
4. SPECIFIC COMPLICATIONS TO WATCH FOR
- Bleeding down the back of your throat.
- Swelling or pain around your eyes:
NORMAL - for rhinoplasty
CONCERNING - for ethmoidecomy
- Migration of nasal packs down your throat.
5. FOLLOW-UP CARE
If you have any problems/concerns relating to your procedure, please call either:
Daycare at 339-1418 - Monday - Friday: 24 hours/day.
Weekends: 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. only
Medical/Surgical Outreach at 339-1551 - Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Weekends/Holidays: 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. only
If you feel the problem relating to your procedure requires IMMEDIATE attention, and if it is within 48 hours of discharge, please return directly to Daycare (or go to the Emergency Department nearest your home, if you are from out of town).