Orthopedic Surgery - Discharge Instructions
In order to continue your care at home, please follow the instructions listed below:
- Go directly home from the hospital.
- Do not drive for 24 hours.
- Elevate the operative limb for ______ days.
- Use prescribed medication as directed.
- When taking pain medication, you may experience drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive or drink alcohol while taking these medications.
- Resume any medications you were taking before your surgery.
2. OPERATIVE SITE
- Remove dressing after _______ days.
- Do not remove dressing.
- Begin with clear fluids: broth, fruit juices, jello, coffee, tea.
- If you do not feel sick and do not vomit, you may increase your regular diet, as tolerated.
- Avoid drinks or food that are gas forming for one week, i.e., carbonated beverages. For a list of foods that may be gas producing, CLICK HERE
- If you are taking DemerolŪ or TylenolŪ with codeine for pain relief, eat HIGH FIBRE FOODS such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals, or bran to avoid constipation.
- Drink at least 6 - 8 cups of fluid daily.
4. SPECIFIC COMPLICATIONS TO WATCH FOR
- Fever that continues over 38°C (101°F) by mouth for 2 days
- Excessive bleeding or numbness around the operative site
- Pain, not relieved by medication ordered
- Increasing/excessive drainage from incision
- Inability to urinate
5. FOLLOW-UP CARE
If you have any problems/concerns relating to your procedure, please call either:
Daycare at 339-1418 - Monday - Friday: 24 hours/day.
Weekends: 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. only
Medical/Surgical Outreach at 339-1551 - Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Weekends/Holidays: 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. only
If you feel the problem relating to your procedure requires IMMEDIATE attention, and if it is within 48 hours of discharge, please return directly to Daycare (or go to the Emergency Department nearest your home, if you are from out of town).